10/26/2009

El Campanero

Le vendredi, 23 octobre 2009

“Really? You’ll introduce me to people my age? ROCK ON!” And this is how I ended up at the Campanero, a bar way at the bottom of the village, past the school, to meet Yessica’s buddies, who were… well, closer to my age than most of the folks I’ve met yet. Nice bar, good music and a very fun bunch. I actually semi-joked in Spanish for the first time! I’ve still go work to do before I can full out joke around and pull Spanish puns out of my ass, but till then they must get a taste of my sarcasm to get used to it you see… you just wait, Angel, you just wait...

I met a Paqui, who lives in Benalup (real close) and speak a very clear, very international Spanish. I understand every single word she says! Probably because she’s worked a lot with foreigners whose Spanish was meh. I also met a Gema who teaches English and wants to practice her pronunciation with me. Bring it on!

There was a group in the corner constantly clapping hands every time a flamenco song came on, and Yessica said “they’re gypsies”. Believe me, apart from the constant clapping and slightly darker skin, gypsies don’t fit the dirty bohemian stereotype. They’re just like you and me! 'cept they bring their kids to the bar until midnight... And this is how I met José Antonio (5 yrs old, goes to my colegio) who was playing pool or some game he invented at the pool table until very late, as his gipsy mom was a friend of Yessica's! I would not have been surprised to see him drinking beer.

Thanks to the guys, I learned quite a few palabrotas (naughty words…) since I’ll certainly not learn at the school! Later on, I met with Fernanda and we went to the San Jorge, the non-Irish Irish pub, to join Victor and… forgot the name. The creepo-guy with bad teeth who was there last time I went to that pub was still there, still wearing the same shirt, and still flirting unsuccessfully. We didn't stay very long, big "Beer and Paella" day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment