9/30/2009

Reality check!

Le mardi, 29 septembre 2009

Alarm a 8 am. “Rise and shi- …shine? What… where is the Andalucian morning light? Wow this bedroom really isn’t bright at all… hold on.” Look out the window… the sky is pitch black and starry. Starry!!! At 8 in the morning??? Did I change the time on my cell right or is it 6am? Did I sleep through the day and it’s 8 pm? HAS THE EARTH STOPPED TURNING?? I just fell asleep again, wondering how long it would take for one side of the earth to freeze and the other to burn should the Earth really stop turning… Later on during the day I figured out that 1) my cell was one hour ahead and 2) the sun does get up rather late. At this time of the year. And the people to. All year long.

Breakfast up on the terrace: THAT’S what it’s all about! To the east, for as far as the eyes can see, there are hills that get higher and higher. Some of the closest and lowest are covered in wind turbines. The humid wind was so strong, as it always is way at the top of this village, so strong I though it would knock my hot chocolate out of my hands. You can hear everything from up there: an old car passing a few streets down on my right, a couple arguing further ahead, a kid running after his friends “Espera! Basta!” somewhere beyond the terra cotta rooftops… rooster, truck in the distance, a million birds, the smell of smoked meat of some kind, stray dogs yapping… my sense were so awake I felt like Superman!

First things first, I found a phone box to call my parents and tell them I arrived. I don’t think they liked being woken up at 5 am… I went down to the more commercial area of the village to buy some food, and to the Chinese bazaar to buy soap, clothe hangers, candles and slippers. I searched for the electronics store Pete had told me about but had to stop and finally found a cell phone store. I thought I was really smart in brining my French cell phone here, but the lady said that it couldn’t be done and made me buy a new one. 15 euros… Plus I didn’t have my passport number with me and had to walk wayyyy back up to my house! (really, not such a long walk, just very steep) Of COURSE I found later the actual electronic store Pete talked about where they CAN change phone numbers.

I thought I’d go check out my school while I was at the bottom of the village. Little voices could be heard overhead from the courtyard but the front gate was locked and there was no bell. As I turned around, the door squeaked open and a young man poked his head out “Hola! Catherine?” Well that was easy! Turns out that man was Jose, my contact at the school and the coordinator of the bilingual program. He showed me around the reception area and introduced me to Carmen, the principal, and a bunch of other teachers. I was then paraded from classroom to classroom, interrupting nearly every one of them to introduce myself with a red face and shaking knees. In most classes, I did not even speak except of a shy “hola!” and Jose spoke as I shat myself. In another classroom, the teacher pulled one of the kids in front of the class and had him speak to me in English, and in his most adorable British accent and shy little voice, Lucas said: “Hullo, I’m from England, my name is Lucas… and uh… I like Spain a lut.” or something cute like that. “Nice to meet you Lucas!”, we shook hands and the class applauded.

Jose explained that, as this is “year zero” of the bilingual program, we’d be mostly creating material and translating stuff, basically working in the shadows rather than with the children. This, I’m ashamed to say, instantly reassured me rather than disappointed me... you don’t understand how all these little bobbles of energy and affection that squeak another language can be intimidating and terrifying! And aDOrable at the same time. I have to say my self-esteem is in for quite a roller-coaster ride. When it was at a peak later that evening, the disappointment of not working in class with children seeped in a little… so much for teaching songs in English…

After the visit, Jose showed me around downtown Alcala and invited me to have coffee later to meet his wife, Belatrix, which I did. After the siesta of course. Getting to the bar El Luca was quite a mission because they both knew every single person we crossed on the way there. I met a few of their friends and struggled to understand conversations. At this point, I catch about 2 words per sentence, which is not always sufficient to grab hold off the topic of the discussion. Belatrix assured me that even she didn’t understand what people said here when she arrived in Alcala… and she’s Spanish! …I’m not sure if this should be reassuring or reminding how much work I have on my plate… But I’ll get there! I will!

7 comments:

  1. My dear catou (if u wrigth in english, so do I) it is so great to "read from you", your sensation arriving to the school remainded me so much to myself a year ago in Paris (wow, it´s been a year since I was in Paris).
    I really got the feeling that this experience will be kind of enlighting for you, been away from the chemestry, from your own language, you will be able to see what the hell you really want... And next you shall come to Argentina to do it!
    I look foward to the next adventures (please send an e mail with the "censured" parts!).
    Love you XOXOXO
    Pichu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woooow! I know SUPERMAN! Heheheh.

    I love reading your blog! You write in such a refreshing, exciting way! :) I'm glad you're still alive... and now you've got to enjoy every minute of your adventure while I sit here in my classes, bored out of my mind, daydreaming about coming to visit you next summer! ;)

    Jt'm Catou! Tu me manques déjà! xoxoxo

    La p'tite julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catou!!! So... we're writing in english now, apparently. Very glad to see that you arrived ok. Don't worry about everything being new and not understanding what people say, it also happened to me, but you'll get used to it and will be speaking "alcaladian?" in no time.
    It will be a wonderful experience, regardeless if you work with kids or with translations. But if you DO want to teahc, maybe you can ask for it. Specially since it's the first year of the program they probably don't have it all figured out and will be happy to receive suggestions.
    If you happen to send the censured mail as Pichu asked for, send it to me too!! jaja.
    Lots of love!
    Caro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basta? cvdire ?..
    Tu va vivre une super belle expé. plus mollo que Paris et Bruxelles, ( ah non..). Il y a pas d'université dans ce coin. Vivre à leur rythme et dans leur langue, c'est encore plus dépaysant, il me semble. Moi, j'aurais des hauts et des bas à chaque jour, pour tranquillement trouver un rythme de travail temporaire et de visiteur à long terme. Ça être encore une aventure de faire des connaissances de plus en plus personnelles avec le 'staff' et les 'locals'.
    Si tu chantes dans le salle des profs, ils vont capoter.. de plaisir. TCheck les guitares usagées vs les neuves. Encore mieux, fait une annonce dans toute l'école 'Je cherche une guitare qui dort qqes part'. Bon départ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get outta here ya quelqu'un qui s'appelle Bellatrix? Weoh!!

    J'appuie, t'écris bien! Et j,appuie aussi que tu devrais aller te pogner une p'tite guitare classique usagée! Des cordes en nylon ça fa moins mal aux doigts! (sauf que le coup est plus large)

    Ton blogue est dans mes bookmarks sur Firefox ("CACA") alors j'vais lire tout le temps!

    - Ju

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaaaaaaaaaww que c'est bien parti! J'ai hâte de lire la suite ;) Je suis déjà rassurée pour toi: tu n'auras pas de p'tits de 4 à 7 ans qui tirent sur ta jupe à tous les jours hihihi :P

    Et ton journal écrit à la main... c'est toute une lecture: C'est un petit texte qui "fesse" et qui représente bien le feeling qu'on a quand on part... Keep it up! A+

    ReplyDelete
  7. Déjà en retard dans ses posts la Catou...

    On attend de tes nouvelles, là!!

    ReplyDelete